A few months ago a friend of mine said she was doing a Ragnar Relay and her team needed an extra runner. I didn't know what that all entailed, but I was free that weekend, and knew I needed some motivation to get running regularly again so I said sure! Turns out that a Ragnar Relay includes 12 people, 2 vans, 200 miles, very little sleep, lots of running (including in the middle of the night), and a very fun couple of days! The race was in Vegas and it was freezing. It was actually snowing at the starting line. Aside from while I was running or sleeping, I was cold the whole time. Nonetheless, we had a fun time and I now have a new van load of friends!
I was so nervous about leaving Charity (I weaned her for this race-so obviously the first time I have left her overnight.) But, between Ladd and my mom, everything was well taken care of at home while I was gone. And, I will tell you, it sure was nice not to have to cook or clean up after anyone for a couple of days. I was desperately overdue for a break from my day job!
The three legs I ran equalled 14 miles and it was great. I was not sore at all afterward and felt very good about the race! My team actually beat my brother and sister in laws team. I can guarantee this will be the only time I will beat them in a race though. They are super fast and I am NOT!
Here are the 6 teammates in my van: Aaron, Sarah, Kelly, me (blanket and all), Kristi, and Debbie
The other half of our team was Kristi's sister-in-law and her friends and we called them the "Utah van" because all of the girls were from UT. It sure is a small world because one of my BFF's from high school/college's little sister was in the "UT van!" So fun to see Jessica! Here she is all bedazzled at the finish line. (We were all supposed to be wearing Chevron socks, running shorts, and Boas but our van opted to cut out cute and wear pants and try to stay somewhat warm:)
Running really is addictive because as soon as I got home I started thinking of other races that I can do (maybe this time races that allow for a bit more sleep though!)

3 comments:
I am so impressed. Cute picture of you and Jessica! Love, Mom
So fun - Good for you!
I should start running again. But it's been so long I'd have to start with a 5k again.
I miss our long therapeutic runs but am glad to see you're still going strong!
It was so fun! Thanks for doing it with us. And I'm with you- definitely something warmer and with more sleep next time!
Post a Comment