Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Book Club Catch Up

Boys Book Club is so fun!  Here are our past two book clubs:

The Boy of the Painted Cave 
by: Justen Denzel

 After playing Mammoth tag, and then discussing the book, we made our own egg tempera paint, and made a cave painting with it.  I liked how the paint turned out shiny!  


We made cups of dirt for our snack!

Tale of Despereaux 
by:  Kate diCamilo
Tanner said this was his favorite book club book so far!  We did a fun comprehension game with what we pretended was red thread (goes along with the book), but all I had was green yarn.  It ended up making a big web that the boys thought was cool.

 We painted cute little mouse pictures...

and made Ratatouille soup with lots of veggies!  All the boys were a little nervous to try it at first, but everyone asked for seconds!
 Proof that veggies are delicious...

I love that the boys are having conversations about the books they are reading without my prompting.  I love that they recommend books to one another and get excited to read a book that their friend has read.    Book club is fulfilling its purpose-getting BOYS excited about reading!  I really want to start a Jr. Book Club for Hunter's friends, but two book clubs, plus everything else I've got going on is not feasible right now.  Maybe next school year...

2 comments:

Ruth said...

That sounds very fun! Looks like Charity got "caught in the web"! Love, Grandma

Bethany said...

So awesome! You could always do a Tanner/Hunter book group so Hunter can do something right now. We do sibling book groups and those are easier than coordinating with other families sometimes. Plus, you can discuss around the dinner table.