Friday, September 18, 2015

Keep the Change


Our first component of our year was called "Keep the Change".  We learned about the history of money, symbolism of money, how money is made, you get the idea!  For our opening day, I had the kids pick someone that is on money and learn about them and why they are on money.  They dressed as that person and taught the other kids about their person.  

We had Woodrow Wilson on the $100,000 bill...

Benjamin Franklin on the $100 bill...

And Susan B Anthony on the $1 coin...


We learned about bartering by having a Bartering Party where the kids brought treasures from home that they traded for other kids treasures.  They soon learned you don't always get exactly what you want when you barter...

 We are having the high school students take a bigger leadership role in our group activities this year.  I asked the high school kids to each prepare some kind of money related craft or science experiment.  They did a GREAT job!

Maddie did a cute Mount Rushmore craft using coins...

Camden taught the kids about surface tension using pennies!

And Audrey taught kids about the security features on money as they water colored a $100 bill.
Having the high schoolers take on this role is definitely a win-win-win!

I had a bunch of money puzzles I brought...

And my mom taught kids how to make Origami out of dollar bills….

 We finished the day with treats the kids could "buy" with the money they earned doing each activity.  I felt super crafty and made these sugar free, grain free, super healthy cupcakes...
 It was a fun day and I think everyone learned a lot and had a great time!


At home, I did a weekly online book club for the elementary kids in our group.  I had them make a lapbook piece each week that went along with the books we were reading.    

At the end of the component, Charity and Hunter had nice "Keep the Change" lap books to remind them of what they had learned over the month.

I also hosted a "Boys Science Club" for elementary boys.  We learned about what metals are used to make coins and how they tie into the Periodic Table.  We had a good time learning, but I think they liked taking advantage of swimming in Grandma's pool best of all! 


We are officially finished with Keep the Change and ready to take what we've learned about money and start applying it!  

Note:  Tanner does not do all of our theme related activities anymore.  He comes to all activities and field trips, and I gear a lot of our Family Home Lessons towards our theme, which he participates in. But as far as the day to day learning goes, he is very busy with his Williamsburg classes, so that is where most of his time is spent during the school hours.  He is certainly growing up and I feel that he is at an age where he needs more than just mom to educate him!



1 comment:

Amanda said...

And this is why I LOVED homeschooling with you! What a successful activity. I've got to get on the ball and post what we've been doing.