Saturday, June 11, 2016

Dream It, Do It, Be It End of the Year

Our School year is officially over!  I can easily say this school year was the craziest ever with extra stuff going on!  The first week of school we were moving out of our house, and into Grandma Hoyals house.  We did the first few months of school at her house, then moved into our new house.  Then unpacking and settling in, all the while I was pregnant!  Now, the last month of school we have had a newborn and a momma healing from a c-section.  Which, really means the last month of school was spent loving on her, not doing much school work!  So... did I get to everything I wanted to with this school years theme, not even close!  Did we still have a great year and accomplish a lot of good things, Yep!  Here is how our year ended...

We had a World Fair where the kids could buy and sell each others goodies, or show off what they learned in another way.  It was such a great way for the kids to learn how to be entrepreneurial.  I loved this activity and hope we can do it again sometime when I can invest a little more time in helping my kids make it great!

Hunter has learned to be self reliant this year as he has worked so hard in the garden.  Here is one of the fruits of his labor... A rather large zucchini!  He showed it off at the World Fair.
He also told about his favorite entrepreneur, George Lucas...
We didn't make anything to sell, but it's ok because Hunter got a "job" working for Spencer helping to sell these darling Lego soaps...
They make quite a team!  Hunter also came up with the great idea of "selling" looks at Felicity for 10 cents and charging 25 cents to hold her.  That idea did not fly though!

 Tanner made an "arcade" at the Fair where kids could play the video games he had made.  He also did a little presentation about the history of video games.  This was all very kid directed due to a mom who just had a baby! (I usually don't encourage anything to do with video games!)

Charity did a presentation on Rose Marie Reid, an entrepreneur who invented the modern swimsuit, choose to only make modest swimsuits, and used many of her profits to help build the Los Angeles LDS Temple.  But, here is Charity enjoying a snow cone she bought at the World Fair.  

The kids enjoyed swimming and hanging out with some of their best friends after the World Fair!

The next day, we had a fun beach day planned!  The older kids went to the Newport Temple to do Baptisms.  I love that this has become a tradition for our little school group!  Here is a picture with some temple goers, and some park players, while they were waiting for everyone else to arrive.  Thanks so much to my mom for driving my kids out to the beach and spending all day there!  Felicity and I were not up for a day at the beach yet!


We started off the year zip lining and rock climbing, really stretching our limits!  We wanted to finish off the year with something that would push kids a little and get them out of their comfort zone!  So, instead of just any old day at the beach, the kids got to go parasailing!  So, so fun!  What a fun last day of "school"!  I really think the kids will remember this, and hopefully inspire them to know that they can accomplish anything, even if it may seem hard or scary!

 Hunter looks a little nervous at first...

 But, I think he got the hang of it!


 Both boys remarked at how high it was!
 Coming back down...


Tanner and his crew look a little more relaxed about the whole ordeal...

 I think they are going a little wild on their ride...




 Tanner said it was so relaxing once they got up there that he felt like he could sleep up there!

Coming back to the boat...


These are all really good kids and I am so glad they are apart of our family's life!



The little ones stayed back on shore and it looks like these 2 twins got buried in the sand!

Some swimming after parasailing...  Looks too cold to me!


My only contribution to the end of the year celebrations, was that the older kids came to my house for a few hours to talk about plans for next year.  That's it, they came to my house.  Suzanne did all the teaching/presenting!  This is the first year Tanner was old enough to participate in the plans for next years theme.  We decided the older kids get so busy with their Williamsburg classes during the school year, they don't fully participate in the theme throughout the year, so we like to give them a head start during the summer.  They also get to help make choices on the shirt and other things which gives them more ownership.  The kids were really excited and we had a great conversation about next year-it is still a surprise for the little ones though so I won't give it away here!  Then, this crew got to go out to lunch and enjoy each other's company without little ones!  It was a great end to this year and a great beginning to next year!

No comments: