We finished our first component of the school year: "To Eternity and Beyond!" This focused on recent family history, and our personal history. I also included an anatomy unit since it is part of science we have not covered in detail for awhile, I thought learning about our bodies was appropriate while writing personal history, and I added in some genetics which I thought went well with Family History. We made life size figures of ourselves...
The kids added organs (lungs, heart, etc) to their bodies as we learned about those parts.
Learning about the skin and how to protect it with UV beads...
Learning about how our lungs work...
And using a stethoscope to listen to our hearts after a lesson about the heart...
We read LOTS of fun picture books about family trees and family traditions/stories from the library and Miss Charity got these cute glasses from the librarian which we call her "librarian" glasses...
We carried out our own family/school tradition by going to the LA County Fair during this component. We met with our school group there and each child gave a short presentation about their Living Hero...
Hunter and Tanner both chose to talk about their Dad and Charity chose to talk about her Mom and Grandma because "they love me."
Here are some other fun pictures from our day at the Fair...
This princess knows how to protect herself...
The Dinosaur Planet was really cool...
Ladd and Tanner getting a massage. I think this might become a Fair tradition...
I took the kids to the CA Science Center as a culminating activity for our Anatomy unit. We had just learned about brain cells (neurons) so it was fun to see this giant replica...
Learning about the heart and blood...
We spent a lot of time in the Body exhibit. I have learned that when we go to a place like this that has multiple things to do, always start at the place I want the kids to get the most out of! So we spent a good portion of our time learning and reviewing the different body systems. Next, we explored the space part of the museum. Our next science unit will cover space as we cover the Space Race in history, so I knew I wanted to expose the kids to Space exploration...
We also enjoyed our other favorite parts of this Museum...
Notice Charity's shoes. Halfway to the Museum, Charity exclaimed "I forgot my shoes!" I was not turning back, so once we got there we searched the car and found one right shoe and one left shoe from different pairs. She wore these all day but her feet were protected! Good thing she is so cute so can get away with such a fashion statement!
It was a fun family trip and we are looking froward to traveling further back in time as we prepare for our next component!

1 comment:
That was a fun day at the fair! I am so glad I could go. These kids are learning so much. What a terrific school experience! Love, Grandma
Post a Comment