Monday, July 3, 2017

Camp Oasis

The Crohns and Colitis Foundation puts on a camp for kids with IBD each summer.  It's called Camp Oasis.  I met the lady who ran it last year at an event and thought it might be something Tanner would benefit from.  When it came time to send him off this year, I was so nervous!  He has medical issues he deals with everyday, plus I didn't know any of these people and neither did he!  No cell phones were allowed so I couldn't contact him all week!  But, he had a terrific time!  When I picked him up, I asked if he made friends and he said more than friends, "brothers".  He felt right at home with this group of kids who have many of the same struggles as him.  He told me about it nonstop the whole 1.5 hour drive home.  He can't wait to go again next year!

His 2 counselors...

Team Challenge came and played games with the kids one day...

Tanner fishing at the pond...
Aside from fishing, he also got to go horseback riding, do team building activities, do an escape room activity, learn lots of fun new games, take a painting class, swimming, and so much more! 

Cabin 3, his new "brothers!"...  The girl did not stay in the cabin, she was a counselor who joined them for their activities.

We are so glad he had a great time, but we were sure happy to have our big brother back home!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

It does my heart good to know what a well-deserved great time he had. It certainly is nice to have him home. Love, Grandma