Hollywood
We took our last trip to the Hollywood Bowl for the summer on Tuesday. The music and crafts were from the Louisiana Bayou. Ladd made it out this time which made this trip extra special!



We went to the Griffith Observatory after the concert. So much fun! I hadn't been since high school and was very impressed with the renovations they had made. They had transformed the observatory into a beautiful space museum and it was totally free! There was even a class the kids could take about comets which was awesome! We went with my sister in law Maquel and her kids which made it even more fun!
The only down to this day was the ride home. Hunter complained for about the last half of the car trip that he wanted "out"! And I was hoping both the boys would fall asleep on the way home...
The only down to this day was the ride home. Hunter complained for about the last half of the car trip that he wanted "out"! And I was hoping both the boys would fall asleep on the way home...
The Countdown
The Temple
The countdown is on to the first day of school! School starts on August 25 and as many of you know we have decided to home school Tanner. I am looking forward to this year (we have a lot of FUN things planned) and I am constantly encouraged that we have made the right choice. But, I have certainly felt the stress of getting everything ready this week! There is sooo much to do as I want to be totally prepared so I don't feel stressed all year. But after a priesthood blessing from my wonderful husband, I was able to calm down a little and actually got quite a bit accomplished this week. I still have a lot to do, but am confident that it will all come together by the first day of school!
The Temple
On Thursday I attended the Temple with some wonderful friends whom I have been working with all summer to plan our home school adventure for the year.
Of course a trip to the temple is always a great experience, but something made this one extra special. When I walked into the room I saw Kay (Wirtz) Johnson sitting there. Instantly tears shot to my eyes. Her son, Chad, was a good friend of ours in High School. He passed away in a tragic car accident last year. Kay and her family had been on my mind a lot lately, as a I knew Chad's birthday had just passed and the first anniversary of his death was this month. It was so good to talk to her. She has always been such a good example to me and one of my favorite "moms" to talk to when I was in high school. She said this weekend was the weekend that Chad passed away. I am sure this is a difficult time for her and her sons. I hope I was able to provide some comfort for her by letting her know that she and her sons are still in our prayers. I feel very blessed to have run into Kay this week, especially in such an inspirational place.
Of course a trip to the temple is always a great experience, but something made this one extra special. When I walked into the room I saw Kay (Wirtz) Johnson sitting there. Instantly tears shot to my eyes. Her son, Chad, was a good friend of ours in High School. He passed away in a tragic car accident last year. Kay and her family had been on my mind a lot lately, as a I knew Chad's birthday had just passed and the first anniversary of his death was this month. It was so good to talk to her. She has always been such a good example to me and one of my favorite "moms" to talk to when I was in high school. She said this weekend was the weekend that Chad passed away. I am sure this is a difficult time for her and her sons. I hope I was able to provide some comfort for her by letting her know that she and her sons are still in our prayers. I feel very blessed to have run into Kay this week, especially in such an inspirational place.
Running
I attempted to run 23 miles with four wonderful friends on Friday. Running with the girls is great because talking to them makes the time go so fast. A big downer was that I think I pulled a tendon on the back of my good knee. Instead running the last few miles home, I limped. The rest of the day was painful, but with ice, rest, and Motrin I am feeling better today.New Callings
Last Sunday, Ladd was set apart as the new Elders Quorum President for our ward. I think he is very humbled by this call, as there are many strong and able men in our ward, but I know he will bless the lives of many people as he strives to follow the promptings of the Spirit as he serves those in our ward. The Elders Quorum is a group of men who hold the Priesthood. As President, Ladd will basically make sure things run smoothly on Sundays, try to meet the needs of those in his Quorum, and organize Home Teaching (not to be confused with Home schooling!) The downer to this is he was set apart with no counselors! Hopefully that will be taken care of today!
I also received a new call. Sunbeam Teacher! The "sunbeams" are three to four year old kids. I am so excited and know that this must have been an inspired call. I need something fun and not overly involved right now. I am really looking forward to teaching these sweet children. My nephew, Brayden, is in my class which makes it even more fun!
I also received a new call. Sunbeam Teacher! The "sunbeams" are three to four year old kids. I am so excited and know that this must have been an inspired call. I need something fun and not overly involved right now. I am really looking forward to teaching these sweet children. My nephew, Brayden, is in my class which makes it even more fun!
What ups and downs have you experienced lately?
5 comments:
Wow, now that's life! I'm exhausted just reading about all that goes on with you guys. Very exciting!
You are the running queen and I so admire you! It's always nice to see all those pictures of the fam. Man, Perri has gotten so tall! Last time I saw her and the twins was more than 3 years ago, crazy!
You are such an inspiration to me. I loved this post. It made me want to be better. You are truly awesome! First off, I am so excited for your home school adventures. What a wonderful experience Tanner is going to have. To have THE BEST teacher in the world! What a treat for him. I am glad you are feeling peace about it and that you got a blessing.
Way to go with running 23 miles! That is amazing! I hope your leg is on the mend.
I teared up when I read that part about seeing Chad's mom in the temple. What a perfect place for her to be this weekend. I am glad you got to see her. I bet that was so special for her to see you there too. One of Chad's good friends.
Ladd will be the best EQP! He will totally pump up those guys to be the best they can be. Ladd has the perfect personality to lead.
O.k, so we need to get together soon. I sure miss you. It's been way too long.
Hope this week is full of "Up's".
Hey Hoyals, Wilson's here! I blog stalked you guys. Sounds like things are going well, Hope your summer was well. Home schooling? I don't know if I could do it but props to those who do! I would need many blessings if I was doing it:/ You will do great Melissa. Thats neat you bumped into Kay, we hope she is well too. Things have been crazy for them I know. Well take care. Boys are adorable too.
I loved reading about your week, ups and downs come and go so quickly. Thank goodness the downs are usually quickly followed by the ups. Just before Lyla was born I was released as the Sunbeam teacher in my ward. You will love it. They are the best kids. If you ever have a question or need ideas, give me line!
Melissa -- I'm so sorry about the limping and really hope it's not a serious problem. Keep me posted!
Post a Comment