Monday, February 16, 2009

Beware!

We are going through a headache of canceling our debit card, opening a new bank account, and changing our automatic bill payments to a new account number because someone got a hold of our Debit card and has been making purchases all over the place! Luckily Ladd is always checking our bank account online and we discovered it early.

Here is what our Banker told us is what most likely happened:
Someone made a "ghost card" of our debit card. When you swipe your card anywhere all the information stays in the machine until the next person uses it. There are little devices bad guys can put in the swiper machines to steal your information, card number, PIN number, any information you give the machine. The banker said it happens a lot at gas stations because the swiper machine is just out in the open for anyone to use. This problem has also happened at restuarants because the waiter takes your card, swipes through the restaurant machine and then through his own, stealing all your info.

How do you stop this from happening? The advice we recieved was:
1. Use cash when possible.
2. Go inside to pay for gas instead of paying at the pump.
(I know this is a major pain when you have little kids in the car!)
3. Do not use a swiper machine that is difficult to get your card in and out of-it is probably tainted!

We have heard of this happening to two other families in the recent months so please beware and protect your Debit/Credit Cards!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks for the reminder! I know I use cards way toooooo often and not only can it be risky security wise, but it's also risky on the budget. When it's plastic you don't even realize the huge tally you are making on your card. With cash you literally see it going away, bye-bye money.

Colleen said...

Those are good ideas. I think I'll check my bank account as soon as I'm done making this comment. A few days ago I used the ATM at the bank & it was really slow to take my card in & eject it back out. I hope that wasn't a tainted machine. Thanks for the reminder.

Reggs said...

SO SCARY! Did they catch the guy who was doing it?? I'm sorry for your hassle.