Tuesday, November 19, 2013

More Civil War Fun

The Charter School we belong to did a field trip to Riley's Farms for a Civil War Day.  It was AWESOME!  Probably one of my favorite field trips ever!

We were put into regiments, we were Tennesse 2nd.  Tanner was the flag bearer for our group.

At our first station, we learned to march and fire our "mustick" like a real soldier.  It was fun having my dad with us for the day.

 Then we learned what the "hospitals" were like on the battle field.  Let's just say I am glad I was not a real soldier during this time!

Next, we played baseball with a stick and ragball. Very fun! 

We also learned some of the typical chores the mothers and wives left at home would have done...


A debate was held in Maryland as to whether it should succeed, join the Union, or stay neutral.  Here is Tanner giving a fiery argument about why Maryland should stay neutral.

After our lunch break, where we ate a soldiers ration of hardtack and jerky, we marched off to war.


Is this little one excited about going to war, or happy she finally has enough hair for pigtails (which I am very excited about!)

Lined up, ready for battle...



 Oh no, our regiment has fallen!  I guess we knew that would happen when we were assigned to the South!  For the record, I am glad the South lost, but I guess someone has to be on their side at a reenactment!

As we marched down the hill, after the battle, I had to take this picture.  Another beautiful day in Oak Glen.  The picture DOES NOT do the scenery justice!

At the end, the actors, I mean soldiers, gave a very heartfelt speech about honoring all of our veterans.  It was a great conclusion to a wonderful day!


1 comment:

Ruth said...

What a great lesson in history! BTW...loving the pigtails, too! Love, Grandma