In January, we learned about the World Market. I thought this component of our school year would not be too exciting, but it turned out to be lots of fun! We focused on how goods travel around the world, currency from around the world, and even got into different economic theories like Capitalism and Communism.
We started off the component with a trip to the LA Port to see container ships up close and personal. Only 8 year olds and up could get on board, and not knowing how my tummy would feel on a rocking boat, I opted to stay off with the little ones. The kids had a great time cruising the Harbor though!
I like this picture of Charity waving goodbye to her brothers...
Hangin' around the Port while the big kids are cruisin'...
My Three Torpedos
Playing at the Maritime Museum...
It was a beautiful day at the Harbor!
Back at home, we experimented with different shapes of boats to see which ones would float and hold the most "treasure".
I hosted a Boys Science Club where we learned a little about airplanes, flight, and the Wright Brothers. The kids had a good time doing some group activities and testing out different types of paper airplanes. I LOVE, LOVE, that I now have a school room that can handle this many kids all at once and has room for all my supplies, books, etc. so I don't have to run all over the house digging up supplies before a class!
As a culminating activity for Hunter, he made a lapbook about all he had learned about the World Market. It turned out really cute and he was proud of his creation.
Of course he chose to focus on Denmark's currency. It is his favorite foreign country and is really hoping to vacation there someday soon!













1 comment:
What fun! I want to see Hunter's book and learn why he chose Denmark. Love, Grandma
Post a Comment