Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Archaeology

How can you learn about ancient civilizations without learning about archaeology first?

We did a little mini dig at our house where we discovered Civil War artifacts...


Ok, I know the American Civil War did not happen in Ancient Times, but we didn't get to this project when we studied the Civil War, so I figured it was a good intro to Archaeology and a good review from last year!


We visited the Jurupa Mountains Discovery Center for their Archaeological Dig Field Trip.  We did this same field trip when Tanner was in second grade but he couldn't remember it at all!  I was worried that repeating a theme would have to much overlap, but when it is 7 years apart, the kids get a whole new perspective on the subject anyways!


Cute girls watching the intro movie...

Trekking out to an actual dig site...


Outside classroom, learning about the Science of Archaeology...

Not an actual dig site, but a great place to get hands on experience...


 Archaeologist in the making...  What toddler doesn't want to dig in the dirt for treasure, er I mean artifacts?


All of the kids gave short presentations about what they found in their dig.


It was a nice morning and Charity has been talking about "arkiloligy" ever since so I know it made an impression on her!


1 comment:

Ruth said...

That looks like fun and a great learning adventure. Love, Grandma