Saturday, December 7, 2019

Judsen's Stain Glass Windows

Charity, Hunter, and I (and the Sears!)  had the opportunity to tour a stain glass window factory in LA.  It was so cool!  I knew nothing about this process before, and it was fascinating!  This "factory" is in the cutest little neighborhood (more like Pasadena than LA).  It has been a family owned business for 5 generations and was such a neat building.  It is one of the largest stain glass window companies in the country.  

It's kind of like putting a big puzzle made out of glass together...


"Only the Best is Worthwhile"

Making stain glass windows is a very specialized art-you can't go to school for it.  So the craftsmen who do it stick with it for a long time, as it is very expensive for a company to train a new person.  (Like this guy who puts the leading in has done it for 50 years! No lead poisoning yet!)

The glass kiln...

Painting the glass...

It was a very neat tour and I will never look at a stain glass window the same again!

No comments: