Monday, July 6, 2020

Fourth of July

I really wanted to do something meaningful for the Fourth of July this year, to help instill a love of America and all the good it stands for, within my children.  I truly believe that the Declaration of Independence and Constitution, and the government our Founding Fathers created, has provided more freedom and a higher quality of life for not just our country, but the entire world who has adapted their system of a government for the people, by the people.  Yes, these men were not perfect, and neither was the government they created, but they established something that has allowed its citizens to become whoever they want to become.  I think America has come a long way from its founding, and this is because of the freedoms we are alloted in the Constitution.  I am really worried we are going backwards, and it is so important that our youth are taught the truth about our country and what freedom truly means.



We decided to go to Riley's Farm, where they do a Colonial Faire.  The kids had a good time.  I want to go back this school year when they do a Revolutionary War field trip and a Civil War field trip.  I remember those being more impactful in teaching about the purpose of America, but the Colonial Faire was still fun and brought us back to the time of our country's founding.   

Candle Making


Baking bread...

Churning Butter

Ax-throwing


Archery

Washing dishes...

Listening to speeches by Founding Fathers, I think this was John Adams reading the Declaration of Independence... 

Firing Muskets...


And of course we partook of their delicious bakery food for lunch.

We finished our Independence Day by swimming with cousins (of course), and doing sparklers.  It was a fun day!






No comments: