Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Advent Calendar Fun!

A few years ago my mom gave us a darling advent calendar that has little drawers you open each day and find a little treasure. Tanner looks forward to it each year and now Hunter has caught on to the thrill of the advent calendar. After reading the blog of my extremely creative friend, Sarah Hull, I got some new ideas for the calendar! (Thanks Sarah!) Instead of a treasure (candy, random miniature toy) the boys open a little note that tells them what kind of Christmas activity they will experience that day. This makes for a real family treasure of memories, much better than the toys that end up in the trash! Here are a few examples:

"Make super yummy fudge and deliver it to your teachers!"

"Snow Day! Go play in the snow!"
It just happened that our library was having a "Snowflake Festival" that day where they brought in snow, had snow themed crafts, and even a fake ice skating rink! The boys loved the snow and I did not love how I forgot my camera!

"Today, you get to go to Santa's Workshop!"

We planned a "Santa's Workshop" for all the Junior Explorer's. Boy, did they stay busy:
Nativity Play (Tanner was a shepherd)

Making Gingerbread Houses
Look at all that Loot!
Making Christmas cards that we will deliver to Elderly Care Center later in the week
What a fun day!

"Make gingerbread cookies with mom and decorate them!"
I thought Tanner would be excited about this one, but when he read it, a look of concern came over him. "Last year our gingerbread men ran away. What if they run away again and we can't find them?"
I assured him they would stay put, but he took extra precautions just in case!

He said the giant turkey would scare the gingerbread so they wouldn't escape and if they did get out, the bread pans would make noise so we could catch them before they ran away. Tanner also made sure someone was keeping watch while the gingerbread men were in the oven. This kid has such an imagination!

Luckily, they did not run away this year. The boys enjoyed decorating and eating their gingerbread men!
Notice the turkey guarding the gingerbread men cooling in the background:

Crazy Kid!

6 comments:

Jenn said...

That is the greates idea! I wish I had the time for it! Tanner is so smart to guard them with a turkey and things to make noise. I must ask, how did they run away last year?!!?

Ruth said...

I am sure glad you had that turkey to help out! That is a very cute idea with the Advent calendar. More work than a piece of candy but way better memories!

Sarah Hull said...

Oh what fun!!! I am so glad you guys are enjoying this tradition as well. I love your nativity and gingerbread houses! It's fun to get some new ideas.
I bet the kids just LOVED the snow day. We are working on visiting some home bound friends and family, but I am getting nervous that we will end up being a circus and the person getting visited might wish they did not agree to letting us in!

Becky said...

Those are wonderful ideas and much more memorable than a digested piece of chocolate when thinking about what Christmas was like for you as a child.

Areli said...

What a great idea Melissa! I would love you Ginger Bread recipe. ☺

Reggs said...

What a fantastic idea! I bet your kids love this, and they have it to look forward to every year. I will have to remember this for next year.
P.S. I love the gingerbread cookie picture in the end. I wish we lived close enough to come over and have a taste!