Friday, November 6, 2009

The REAL Survivor Man

For school today we joined another homeschooling group and met with a man who teaches people how to survive in the wilderness. We went on a three hour hike in Pasadena and our teacher, Christopher Nyerges, taught us how to survive off the land. We learned which plants were edible,

which were poisonous (here a a poison oak leaf-don't touch!),

how to make a lean-to,


looked for animal tracks (raccoon tracks looks like baby handprints!) and wild animals like this snake,

we learned how to make a fire,


which bugs are edible (sweet little white bugs on Eucalyptus trees), and a lot of other neat things. Our guide knew just about all there was to know about wilderness survival! The kids LOVED it, especially all the boys. Tanner was right next to our guide for most of the hike! He was much more enthusiastic at trying all the edible plants and bugs than his mom! It was a very unique and educational experience for all involved!

3 comments:

Ruth said...

I won't get lost in the wilderness without Tanner. I would definitely need his help! What fun and what an education for the kids:)

Anonymous said...

Awesome adventure...i so miss that!!!!

Becky said...

Wow, I would have loved to go on that field trip. I've wondered in the past how to build a proper lean-to. Bear G. has taught me not to eat a sea cucumber but your guy might have some more practical advice for the regular type of survivor.