We started off this semester learning about
Ancient Greece. The boys have loved learning about the fantastic Greek myths and hearing about the waring city-states. We haven't done as many field trips this year partly because of our subject matter (can't quite make it to Greece!) and partly because next year will be full of field trips and we need to save up for it! Although, Tanner did tell me today some of things he was planning to do when we take our cruise around the Mediterranean Sea. I told him it might be a long while before we take that field trip. He asked why, I said because it costs much more than we can afford, then he assured me that he had plenty of money in his piggy bank and he would help out with the cost. I've tried to recreate Ancient Greece as best as we can at home since I am pretty sure his piggy bank can't pay for a cruise around the Mediterranean quite yet.
We had an Olympics with real Chariot races and everything!

Three Legged Race

Tanner's favorite event: Discuss Throw


We have been making lots of things they would have had in Ancient Greece like pottery, writing tablets, and even some of their armor. Tanner wanted to show his most serious face here since he is dressed as a soldier!

Making sugar cookies to represent the three styles of columns built in Ancient Greece.

We also took the boys to a Greek Cafe to try some authentic Greek food. They were a little nervous at first but ended up really enjoying their pita sandwiches and eating every bite of their Baklava!

We are really enjoying learning about Greece!
2 comments:
Wow! That looks great! Love that serious face!
Love, Grandma
That is way cool! Reed's doing his book report on the Olympics which as you know started in Greece. If I remember correctly they did them in the buff. You should mention that Erin qualified for the Olympic trials for the hammer, but also competed in the discus and shot-put. She was amazing!
I love reading about all of the educational adventures you guys take!
Post a Comment