Friday, August 31, 2012

"Getty"ing into Art

I took the kids to the Getty Center in LA this week to celebrate our art and music history theme for the year.  Wow!  I had never been there before-what a beautiful place!  And, it is FREE (never mind the  $15 parking and $4.18 a gallon for gas to get there!)  We had a good time.  My advice to anyone going- DO NOT wander into a building with an exhibit you know nothing about!  I cut through one building, to avoid stairs with a stroller, and we walked right into the middle of an exhibit that was not art-it was trash.  I told my boys "Look down and go fast!"  When we got out of there, the only comment I got was, "Why did we run through that exhibit?"  Thankfully, I don't think they saw anything.     

But, we did love the Gardens,








Family Room, 









and Family Art Adventure (highly recommended!).



This little one, for as wiggly as she is, has been surprisingly pretty good at our last few museum trips!

We had fun at home this week too.  The first week of school is always fun as we get back into the swing of things, and start immersing ourselves in our year long adventure!  We learned about Picasso and created a Cubism chalk drawing. (Notice Hunter is wearing the mask he made at the Getty!)

We also explored the many wonders of puffy paints as we decorated our artist aprons for the year.

Happy Creating!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Love the masterpieces! Love, Grandma