Saturday, May 11, 2013

Surprise, Tanner's 10!

Tanner celebrated his tenth birthday this week.  This is big time, DOUBLE DIGITS!  The night before, on his "birthday eve", we went to Ferrell's, where everyone has fun on their birthday.  Tanner got the Indiana Jones version of the birthday song sung to him, and he loved every minute of it!  He also said he is not going to eat ice cream again for a long, long time!


      
On Tuesday, we had a SURPRISE party for him!  I wasn't sure if we could pull it off because Tanner knows everything that goes on in this house.  While he was at scouts (he goes to Webelos now), I headed off to the park to get it all set up.  Family and friends met us there while we anxiously awaited the birthday boy.  Ladd picked him up from scouts and told him we had rescheduled his tennis lesson for that night.  His tennis lessons are at the park where the party was.  He was kind of bummed he had to do a tennis lesson on his birthday, I think his exact words were "Can't I ever get a break?".  He told Ladd he wanted to play tag while he waited for his tennis coach, so he came running out of
the car, while this group was hiding...  

As Tanner ran by, the all ran out yelling "SURPRISE!"  Tanner turned around with a look of fear and then started running as fast as he could!  He thought he was being chased by a group of strange kids.  When he looked again he realized that he actually knew all these kids and was super excited about his surprise party.  He kept saying they almost gave him a heart attack.  Before bed that night, he wrote in his journal that it was a terrifying and super awesome birthday.  So, I guess he was surprised! 



 Describing his heart attack...

My mom made him this cute Minecraft cake.  Minecraft cakes are a little tricky to create, but Tanner LOVED it!

 Make a wish!

It was a very fun party and I loved that it was at the park and kids of all ages were perfectly entertained the whole time without any doing on my part!  

I am so proud of my sweet Tanner.  He is turning out to be such a diligent, creative, and loving young man. I can trust him with many responsibilities and he makes my job a little easier (usually).  He is a wonderful older brother.  He finds friends wherever he goes, loves people, and continues to have a boundless curiosity.   He is developing his own testimony of the gospel and starting to see why it is so important.  I feel so blessed to be his mom and love Tanner so much!  

4 comments:

Ruth said...

It was a great party...so impressed you were able to pull off a surprise for Tanner! Happy Birthday to a wonderful young man and a really great grandson. I love you so much, Tanner! Love, Grandma

Melissa said...

I knew who was chasing me, it's just they scared the heck (I really said C**p) out of me.
Tanner

(Fun being 10!!)

Bethany said...

10!? That doesn't seem possible!

Happy birthday to Tanner, and great job, Melissa!

Kathy said...

I cant believe Tanner is 10! Its sounds like he had a really fun birthday! great job Melissa!!!