Thursday, April 17, 2008

Our Sweet Boys

Over the past two weeks, I have had both boys to the doctor for their regular check ups. I thought this would be a good time to share a basic update on what they are up to...

The Goose



Every time I think of Tanner and the wonderful "big boy" he is becoming, my heart bursts with pride! He is so excited about everything and is eager to learn about the world (and universe) around him.
He takes after his dad in so many ways. He will talk to anyone-even if they don't speak English. (Tanner has been known to teach Spanish speaking kids English at the park!) His excitement for life bubbles over through his speech, making it sometimes a little hard to understand if you are not use to his speedy speech! Tanner is very caring of others and wants everyone to be included. I often find Tanner making friends with children who weren't playing with anyone else, so they wouldn't be "lonely". He is such a sweetheart!
Tanner has turned into quite the little artist. All he wants to do is draw! I find pads of paper and pencils all over. He draws "busy animals". These are animals that drive cars, work as construction workers, go fishing, or do whatever Tanner can think of... He has a very BIG imagination.
I have been so proud of Tanner's reading. We had been working on sounding out words and Tanner was sort of interested, then one day he read a paragraph on his own. "I can read!" he said with a big grin. Ever since then, he has really enjoyed learning to read. I love listening to that sweet little voice reading a story and loving every minute of it!
Tanner is so sweet, but he does test my mothering abilities now and then. Ever since he was a baby, he has been very sensitive to change. He likes things they way he thinks they should be, and if you change something without proper notice, he has a difficult time adjusting. We blame it on his early arrival at birth. Of course it has nothing to do with genetics or parenting abilities. Ladd keeps wondering when his nervous system is going to "grow in"...
Tanner will be 5 in May and weighs in at a huge 34 pounds. He is still in the 0-5 percentile for his age. I joke that it is because he burns all of his calories while he is eating them! We are still working on staying seated during meals! Any suggestions?


The Munchkin


You could not ask for a more lovable, sweet baby! Hunter melts my heart every time I see his adorable smile. He loves to give long, tight hugs and his giggle is very contagious. He is growing so fast- I can't believe he is already one and a half!
Hunter has turned out to be a talker too! He has very serious conversations, that no one can understand, except for him! Here are a few of the words we do understand: Ner (Tanner), touch, baby, shoe, show, moon, wing (swing), more, bubble, wahr (water), and dr (drink).
This little guy might grow up to be a couch potato if we are not careful. He has not met a food he does not like and he loves the TV and the computer. Whenever he passes the TV he asks for "show". His favorite: Elmo!
Hunter keeps me on my toes a little more than Tanner did at this age. He is such a climber, but does not have the best balance. Some of his favorite climbing spots include the table, our steep hill in the backyard, and the top of the toilet. So far he has survived with fairly minor bumps and bruises.
At 18 months, kids can start going to Nursery at Church. Hunter had a hard time being without mom at first. But, when he realized Nursery=Snack time, he could careless if Mama was bye-bye! The way to this kids heart is graham crackers!
Speaking of food, Hunter weighs 26 pounds, only 8 pounds lighter than his brother who is 3 1/2 years older!


We are so proud of our adorable little men. Both of our boys have been such a blessing in our lives and we are so grateful for their sweet spirits!

3 comments:

Stacey Bishop said...

What a sweet post. It seems like it was yesterday that we were all pregnant with our first.

Bethany said...

Handsome boys, and what nice things to say!

Years ago Walmart sold 99 cent educational kid placemats. My kids always stay at the table longer when we get those out.

Ruth said...

I, of course, agree with you about what a blessing these sweet boys are-I think Mom and Dad are doing a pretty great job with my wonderful grandsons! I love you all so much.