Sunday, June 22, 2008

Check that off my list...

So, ever since we moved to Fontana, I thought it would be fun to run to my dad's house. It is a little over seven miles away and most of those seven miles are on one street that overlooks the valley. Sounds nice, right?
This weekend we were taking care of his dog while he was out of town, so I figured I would just run there and back, save on gas. As it turns out, I was supposed to run 14 miles (training for St. George marathon) this weekend. I usually go for my long runs on Saturday mornings with my fabulous running friends, but because of circumstances, we didn't run together this weekend. So, I figure I'll just run to my dad's and back, making 14 miles.
The run there was great, I feed the dog, got a drink, and called Ladd to let him know I am still alive. It is getting dark, so I grab a flashlight. As I am running back, I am doing pretty well until about mile 10. Suddenly, all I can think about is water. I have never been so thirsty in my life! I start day dreaming about all the cups at my house and how good drinking water from them would be. It was 106 degrees earlier that day and I probably sweat out all my liquids on the way to my dads. Sprinklers become my new best friend, and I am sure I looked pretty strange running through any sprinklers I saw and using my hand as a cup to get a few sips.
I finally make it home at 11:15pm. (I had to walk those last four miles!) I down tons of water, and then throw it all up, but at least I feel better. So, running 14 miles by myself in 100 degree weather was not a smart idea. But, at least I can mark off running to my dad's house from my list of things I've always wanted to do!

What is on your list of things you've always wanted to do?

4 comments:

Becky said...

It's nice to finally mark off those "always wanted to do things." You just hope that they were worth all that anticipation. I can hardly believe you made it there in the first place in that heat! When is the St. George Marathon? Isn't it in the Fall? You'd hope after a run like you just had!

Reggs said...

uhm, I just scratched "run 14 miles in 100 degree weather" off of my list. I'm not even going to attempt it! Thanks for the heads up! LOL!

Ruth said...

Melissa, Melissa, Melissa...

Kristen said...

The other day I had the same experience with food, I was so hungry and all I could do was imagine myself eating the last few miles of my run. So cool you are doing St.George! And, you are insane for running that long in that much heat!