
I have been putting forth a diligent effort to eat my "Five a day" servings of fruit and vegetables. Fruit is not the problem, it is the veggies! I am not the type who can down a bag of baby carrots. I don't really like raw veggies, unless they are dripping with ranch dressing, which pretty much defeats the purpose of eating them. So, I have had to hide the veggies in my regular food. I decided to get creative and it has worked out really well. And, my regular meals taste a lot better with these yummy vitamin packed extras.
Here are a few ways I have added extra veggies to my family's meals:
Veggie pizza: I cut up whatever fresh veggies (zucchini, asparagus, corn) we have and add them to the sauce. Of course, I make it on a whole wheat pizza crust and use cheese sparingly for extra nutrition. So easy and delicious!
Vegetable packed lasagna: Again, add some chopped up fresh veggies to the tomato sauce. Add frozen spinach to the cheese mixture. Wala, extra veggies and nobody knows they are there! I am a whole wheat nut and use whole wheat noodles for extra flare!
Tuna/Chicken Salad with some extra color: When I mix up canned tuna or chicken for a sandwich, I add chopped up carrots and cucumbers. Delicious!
Turkey Wraps: I have discovered a love for fresh green beans! I will steam a bunch for dinner and then refrigerate the leftovers and put them in my turkey wrap for lunch the next day. My turkey wrap includes: turkey, thin layer of cream cheese, and cold green beans wrapped in a whole wheat (of course) tortilla. Yum-O!
What do you do to get your five a day?
1 comment:
Well I am not a cook, so I don't involve them in any dinner meals. And I don't get five a day, But I can down a a bag of baby carrots. I take a snack bag of baby carrots to work and eat a few between massage. I love cottage cheese with chunks of tomato and celery (or cucumber). And odly enough I love a lettuce and tomato salad. Do dressing, just lettuce and enough juicy tomato chunks that the juices get my lettuce a little soggy! OH and when I feed Lyla cooked green beans I tend to steal some of hers too!
Post a Comment