Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Favorite Room

The other day Tanner needed something from me and said, "Mom, where are you?" "In the school room," was my reply. "Oh good, that is my favorite room in the house," Tanner exclaimed as he came running into the room. It has become my favorite room too!



I feel so blessed to have been able to homeschool Tanner for kindergarten. I have been able to have so many meaningful conversations with Tanner this year because of books we've read and experiences we have shared. My favorite part of the day is our "school time". I can feel the Holy Ghost leading me and guiding me as I work with Tanner. I am so grateful for this guidance as I certainly could not do it on my own! Last summer I felt very strongly that homeschooling Tanner was the right thing to do, and I wasn't quite sure why. Although I may not know all the reasons, I do know that it has made me a better mom and given me the opportunity to teach Tanner so many important things that are not learned at school. I have seen Tanner grow so much this year, spiritually, emotionally, and academically. I love knowing his strengths and weaknesses and finding ways to encourage the strengths and improve the weaknesses. I would not have had it any other way. Don't get me wrong, it can be challenging. I need a break from my kids every now and again, but I get those breaks when I need them. (And, boy do I appreciate date night more than ever!) But, the positives certainly outweigh the negatives when it comes to taking on your child's education 100%!

I am very proud of Tanner and all he has accomplished this year. Last year I was always worried about what people would think when they found out we were homeschooling our kids. Well, now I can tell them it is a wonderful thing, there are lots of wonderfully normal families from all walks of life who do it, and there is tons of support and classes available to homeschoolers. So, we are planning to homeschool for first grade! I am looking forward to another exciting year with a whole new theme. At first I was a little worried about Hunter getting older and he probably won't be napping as well as he did this year, but now I am excited to have him join in on more of the fun. In an effort to keep the school room as the "favorite room in the house", I have a school year to plan this summer!


5 comments:

Bethany said...

Good for you, Melissa, good for you.

Jenn said...

I am go impressed and and so inspired. Thank you for being a wonderful example of a fabulous Mom. And congrats to Tanner for learning and growing so much.

Sarah Hull said...

you are my hero and you are amazing! This post was so touching and I am so glad you shared it. I love the part where you said you can feel the Holy Ghost leading you. I'm not sure many parents can say that about their child's teacher. It's special that you can!

Ruth said...

I have seen Tanner become such an enthusiastic learner--he loves learning and that comes from good teaching. I am so proud of you and my grandson!

Darcy said...

Great job. I don't know how you do it...I love my kids to death, but I really do need that break. I think it takes a special kind of person to home school. You are definitely one of those kind, loving moms that can do it. Keep up the good work!