Wednesday, September 9, 2009

International Printing Museum

We finished our "Main Street" unit for school yesterday. This was a really fun unit and I wish we had more time on it. There was just too much to do in a short amount of time!

Since we are learning from good books this year, we spent some time learning about how books are made, how libraries work, and what authors and illustrators do. So we spent Tuesday at the International Printing Museum. The kids had a great time and learned a ton! The kids got to fold and cut a book like it would've been done in Benjamin Franklin's time and make a print for a little notebook they made and do a large print for the bag they put all their goodies in. It was really neat and I only wished I could've gotten a little more out of it, but I spent a good part of the time keeping Hunter quiet and happy.

When Ladd got home on Tuesday night I was impressed with all the facts that Tanner could tell him. It is amazing what kids retain when they can become part of what they are learning.

3 comments:

The Milligan Blog said...

Real quick.. I seriously cant believe how much Hunter is looking more and more like Ladd!! It's crazy :) It's good to see/hear/update from you via your blog :) I've been a bit out of the blog life for awhile.. trying to get back in :) You inspire me cause you are so on top of things. I just love your blog!! :)

Jenn said...

Here, here, kids are sponges! I would have loved to be there too. That is a really amazing museum. I'm sorry that you were so distracted with your other one...I know how it is!

Sarah Hull said...

Way COOL!!! I bet the "main street" unit was SO fun to teach!
We've got to check that place out. Thanks for sharing!