Marie Antoinette came to visit us this week. She told us about her side of the French revolution and encouraged the kids to learn more about it and decide for themselves who was in the right: the aristocrats or the revolutionaries? She also had an activity where the kids drew from a bowl whether they were in the first, second, or third estate. Those in the first and second estate got to have a "party" with donuts and juice, while those in the third estate had to fold her laundry (thanks Maddie, Tanner, and Julie!), then get paid a small amount only to be told they had to pay most of it back in taxes.
She also taught us a bit about the Bastille and how she knew her husband had lost his power when the revolutionaries stormed it! The kids used their art skills they have been learning this year to create some awesome Bastilles of their own...
This was a fun way to get the kids involved in a somewhat complex piece of history. My boys have been playing "French Revolution" and drawing Medieval fortresses all week. This bit of history is right up their alley!

5 comments:
Well, Marie looks beautiful and the drawings are awesome! Love, Grandma
I stole some donuts!
Tanner
Awesome! Can I be a student at your house? I'm totally doing this with my kids!
Wow! Fabulous drawings! What a fun subject, "off with their heads!"
I love all the interesting things you and your kids get to explore together. So awesome. And inspiring... :-)
Post a Comment