Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Problem Solved (I Hope!)

I have a problem. I really like food. Especially between the hours of 2pm-5pm. So I am trying to solve this problem with this: a gym membership! I have been wanting one forever and Costco had a deal that Ladd was sure would not last forever, so he surprised me with it (early Christmas present I guess)! I am hoping this will solve my problem by keeping me away from food during those afternoon hours. I got my pass on Saturday and have been three times since! I love it! I love how there is every walk of life there; old, young, extremely fit, and extremely not fit. Everyone with one purpose: to get (or stay) healthy and in shape. Today I went to an Aqua class where the average age was probably about 55 and the average weight about 255(well maybe not that much, but you get the picture!!). And I still worked my tail off! I give a lot of credit to those older and heavier ladies-it is hard work!
Since I've never had a gym membership before, I don't know how to do any of the machines so right now I stick to classes and cardio machines. I meet with a personal trainer for my free introduction (I am sure they will try to talk me into buying more personal training sessions-I don't like how they are always trying to sell you something!) so hopefully she will teach me how to use a few machines so I can tone up and feel like I know what's going on in that half of the gym. Anyways, if you ever need a gym partner give me a call! I want to try it all!
Now, if only I could get a personal nutritionist to come live with me and watch my every bite, I would be in good shape!

5 comments:

Jenn said...

It's funny that you bring this up becuase just this morning I thought, if I could, I would go back to school to become a nutristionist, so that hopefully I could learn and also teach my family how to eat better.

Bethany said...

Perfect example of how nobody is content with their situation. You have got some of the best self discipline I have ever seen, Melissa! Really, you are such a good example already of eating well and exercising. But, good for you for being even better.

Becky said...

I finally made it to a resistance training class on Tue. and got my behind kicked in a very thorough way. Last Tue. I got the times mixed up and went to a class like you described. I should have realized it wasn't the right class when everyone started pulling chairs out of the closet and that everyone was at least 60 yrs. old. They were still very welcoming to the younger out of shape girl and I still did get a workout. It all depends on how much effort you give. Still, I almost died in the class I took yesterday and ouch!

Scarcy Family said...

I loved going to the gym...I was one of those people in the aqua class..9 months pregnant jumping like crazy out of the water, it is so much fun. Wish I could work out with you, maybe if we move back one day! P.S. If it's 24 hour fitness, the core class on Tuesdays is the best. Instructor used to be names Kari...she's by far the best core teacher on the planet!!!

Reggs said...

I wish you lots of luck, Melissa! I love going to the gym, and it bugs me when people say, "but you don't NEED to lose anything!"
Doesn't matter, it's about being healthy and fit so we're around longer to play with our grandkids!
Have fun!