Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Pain Management

I really enjoy sleeping and eating. But for the past week I have probably eaten about 500 calories a day and my sleep has not been nearly as enjoyable either. One week ago today I woke up with a lump in my throat and mild heartburn every time I ate or drank anything. I had never had this before (aside from mild indigestion while pregnant) so I got some over the counter stuff and ignored it hoping it would go away. Well, it didn't. Later that week I ended up being turned away from Urgent Care (they did not want to deal with someone complaining of chest pains and shortness of breath) and I was sent to the ER. After a chest x-ray and an EKG they decided my heart was fine and I have severe acid reflux. They sent me home with a prescription and an appointment to see my regular doctor. I know it sounds ridiculous that I was in the ER for heartburn, but it was really unbearable and pretty scary. Because I have no history of this and it came on so suddenly, my doctor was a little concerned and they are testing me for lots of things to try to find the cause. It is starting to feel a little better (the pain is not constant now, only when I eat, drink, and wake up in the morning) after being on the medication for five days. I am forcing myself to eat and drink a little more because I don't want to get dehydrated or pass out from lack of food. So, if you see me around and I am making a miserable face, it is not because I don't like you, it is just because I probably just took a sip of water. Hopefully I will find out by next week what is happening to my insides.
Thanks for listening to my frustrations...

9 comments:

Packer Family said...

Melissa...if there is anything I can do to help out, let me know!! Hope you feel better soon!

Becky said...

Ouchiness! Maybe you're like me and have GERD. Don't you think that's a funny name for acid reflux. Mine is actually caused by an ulcer in the esophagus. We Hartvigsen's get ulcers, it's just our way. Great hearts but acid, acid, acid. I have to take a Pepcid every day unless I too want to avoid eating or drinking. Yours seems a lot worse than mine though. I hope the docs. can figure it out soon.

Sarah Hull said...

oh friend. i am so sorry. what a pain. literally! This is not the season for acid reflex, that is for sure! I really do hope they can figure this out ASAP!

The Titmi said...

How Horrible!! I hope they figure out SOON and that it is an easy fix!

Jenn said...

Oh Melu!!! I am so sorry. I hope they figure out the cause so it doesn't happen again.

Kristen said...

MELU! What a bummer! I hope it cures itself so you can eat lots of chocolate for the holidays!

Darcy said...

I'm so sorry. That doesn't sound fun at all. I hope they fix you soon and you feel better quickly.

kristib said...

That sounds terrible! I hope you can figure out whats going on quickly.

Jenn said...

NO FUN! Are you better yet? I hope you are fast. Good luck not eating!