Saturday, February 26, 2011

Is this week already over?

The weeks have been going by quickly lately, which I am grateful for! Here are a few pictures I captured this week:

Writer's Workshop
I started teaching a Writer's Workshop this semester once a week. There are only three boys in the class which is GREAT! All those things I always wanted to do for my students when I was a public school teacher, but couldn't because of time, class size, etc, I can do for my Tanner and his two friends. I love teaching it and I think the boys are excited about writing! This week we built a Lego creation together and wrote an awesome descriptive paragraph about it.

Then, the boys got to build their own creation and show me what they knew about paragraphs by writing their own paragraphs describing their creations. I was very impressed with the writing results!
Roman Builders
We have been learning about Rome, and I am trying to focus on the positive parts of this civilization, like the amazing architecture and technology they discovered. So, we built our own little aquaduct.
Mixing the dough...

Rolling the dough...

Shaping the dough...

And the dough cooked and barely able to stand up! I think giant cement aqueducts work better than clay made out of flour and salt!

We also learned about the amazing engineering feat of building the first real road. So, the boys put together these little packets to remember the steps it takes to build a Roman road, some of which have lasted for over 2,000 years! Sorry it's sideways :(
More Lego Creations
Tanner made "the most awesome Lego robot" and he just had to get a picture of it! Cousin Brayden supported him in his Lego building pursuit.
I feel so blessed that I can have all these learning adventures with my boys everyday! My house may not be as clean as I like it with all our little projects going on, but we sure are making good memories together!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I think the boys are the ones that are blessed to have a mom and teacher like you.