Friday, October 26, 2012

Renaissance Recap

We finished up our Renaissance unit this week.  Along with da Vinci, we also learned about Michelangelo...

Designing,
 and then painting frescoes...

 To experience painting the Sistine Chapel, we drew upside down!  This kept the boys busy and quiet for a long time!

 And little miss Charity was happy to have colored pencils so easily accessible during this project!

Our version of St. Peter's Basilica...


We read a lot about Gutenberg's Printing Press and had the opportunity to visit a modern printing press.



 This was a fun, free field trip and all the kids went home with a packet of goodies!  I was very impressed with Griffiths Printing!

When you are studying Gutenberg, and you only live 45 minutes from one of his original Bibles, you can't not go see it!  So, I took the kids to the Huntington Library to see the Gutenberg Bible.  We were really impressed with the size of it and I was pleased that both boys could carry on an intelligent conversation about Gutenberg with the curator in the Library.  We had a fun time exploring the Gardens after seeing our treasure in the Library.

 Hunter really likes studying the maps wherever we go...

I want my backyard to look like the Children's Garden at the Huntington! Ah, maybe one day!



No comments: