Monday, May 4, 2015

Dead Sea Scrolls



Since we had studied Israel this year, we had to go see the Dead Sea Scrolls that were on exhibit at the California Science Center!  We couldn't take pictures in the actual exhibit-I don't think camera flashes are good for paper that is 2-3,000 years old.  But, it was pretty neat too see the old, tiny print and fragments of parchment that the Dead Sea caves preserved for us.  The kids liked the piece of the western wall that was there.  They could write a little prayer on paper, leave it on the piece of wall, and the exhibit actually delivers it to Jerusalem!  Pretty cool!  I did snap a few pics of the fun hands-on things they had just outside the exhibit...




 We also saw the Imax 3-d movie called "Jerusalem".  It was terrific.  I felt like I was walking down the streets of Jerusalem.  It focused on 3 different girls, each of a different faith.  It was very well done in that it showed the similarities of each religion.  My heart goes out to those living there and struggling with all the turmoil that holy land has always had to deal with.

Of course we can't go to the Science Center and not explore my favorite free exhibit there:  Ecosystems!

The kids loved waiting for the flash flood in the desert area!  It was a great day!

No comments: