Thursday, June 2, 2011

Boy's Book Club Party

I haven't planned much for this summer-considering I will spend most of my time nursing a little one. But, I thought I would like to do one cub scout activity a week with the boys. So, when I saw that planning and implementing a party was something Tanner could earn a badge for, I decided to take advantage of it! I wanted to have a fun final Boy's Book Club, so we turned it into a party that Tanner helped plan.

The boys got to choose their own book to read this time and try to sell it to the rest of the boys as a book they should read this summer. It was fun to see the different types of books each boy chose. Tanner chose Kidpreneurs: Young Entrepreneurs with Big Ideas. He was so excited about this book and has already written a business plan for his chore business "Simple Jobs".

We made Shrinky Dink bookmarks for the boys to use for all the books they will be reading this summer.


Tanner chose to serve pizza, fruit, and root beer for lunch. All "dude" food I guess! Then, Tanner planned a Water Balloon Fight! Nothing to do with reading, but fun nonetheless! As part of the cub scout requirement, Tanner had to make a gift for all the guests at his party. He decided to write a book about Lego guys at Book Club. Each boy got a copy of Tanner's book as they left. It was a fun few hours.

I am excited to do Boys Book Club next year, and to start one for Hunter's friends. We are so, so sad that we will be losing one of our Book Club friends to Utah next year. We will miss Dallin, not to mention his whole family!

4 comments:

Ruth said...

That looks like so much fun! Tanner is a good party planner! Now, I hope you are "off your feet" for the day! Love, Grandma

Ruth said...

Who's that "Phantom Book Club Member" standing behind the curtain???????????

Melissa said...

Ha! I didn't even notice him there! You know how "shy" Hunter can be.

Bethany said...

You are great, Melissa! Always doing fun things, letting your boys do great things, and so generously ambitious when it comes to doing more!

I'm so glad you're keeping up your blog so I can keep in touch with what you guys are doing -- thanks!