Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Trip to Sacramento

Ladd is working all week in Sacramento, so we decided to go up for a few nights too! We all left early Sunday morning and the boys and I drove home all day today. I really felt horrible last week and was a little worried about going on vacation, but I thought not cooking, cleaning, or worrying about the BIG weekend I have coming up would be good for me. It was. I didn't even mind sitting in a car that much because it meant lots of time sitting! We had a nice, relaxing time.

On the drive up, we tried to be good and go to Church in Fresno, but it turns out they were having Stake Conference, so we couldn't find a ward to go to. But, we did get pictures in front of the Fresno temple and we did a little mini church service in the car. Tanner spoke about pioneers (because they traveled lots of miles and so were we) and Hunter spoke about the resurrection. Easter must have still been on his mind.

On Monday, while Ladd was working hard, I took the boys to Sutter's Fort and an Indian Museum. The boys each earned an arrowhead for completing a scavenger hunt at the Indian Museum. We saw this cute duck family in the pond outside of the Indian Museum:
Sutter's Fort:

I think these are a cool cowboy faces.

Tuesday we spent at the Capitol Building. We had driven by on Monday but the place was crawling with policemen on motorcycles, horses, on foot, millions of police cars, etc. Streets were blocked off. The boys were very impressed with all this police activity and played "Capitol Spies" the whole time we were in Sacramento. It turned out that there was a special program at the capitol honoring all fallen police officers. It was much easier to get to the building on Tuesday. It was fun seeing the assembly room and senate room. The boys were impressed with the two highway patrol stationed in front of the Governors office.
Protecting the Governor

Then, we headed over to Old Sacramento. We started at the Military Museum, as this was the boys first choice. They really got into taking pictures in front of the exhibits:

We also went to the Sacramento History Museum and the Old School House. The Old School was so cute. Tanner was appalled that boys would get lashing for playing with girls. We really liked spending the day in Old Sacramento!

After Ladd would get home from work, we would fit in time for swimming at the hotel's indoor pool, running threw the water at this cute little park near our hotel,

and of course enjoying a few meals out!
We hit two traveling milestones on the trip: boys shared a bed (we've never attempted this in fear they would never sleep, or kick each other so much in the middle of the night that they wouldn't get any sleep-but it worked out perfectly!) and only needing to stop once on an 8 hour trip. I usually try to break up long trips a bit more but with good books to listen to on CD, the boys did great! I guess they are getting easier to travel with. Good thing we are starting all over again with a baby!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

What a great trip! I hope you felt better during that week, and am glad you at least enjoyed plenty of sitting time.

Ruth said...

I am especially impressed with the cowboy faces! It looks like you had some fun and some education. Glad you had a good time and are home safely. Love, Grandma