Thursday, January 3, 2008

I need some advice...

Last night, I was commenting to Ladd about how I love being a mom. I know I am not the best mom, but I do love it and feel like I am doing a good job at raising my boys. I am the first to admit I cannot do everything, so I need help from all of you wonderful mothers! Between playing with my kids, providing educational yet fun experiences for them, trying to make healthy meals, keeping up with my calling, and all the other wonderful things I have going on in my life, housekeeping seems to be on the bottom of my list! I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with little piles of this and that around my house! (Of course, it doesn't help that usually as I am cleaning one mess, Hunter is just dumping something else out at the same time!) Any suggestions on how to do everything we should be doing and still find time to keep your house nice and neat?

4 comments:

Sarah Hull said...

First off, when I was at your house last night it was super clean, so you are doing the best job at being a fantastic mom and housecleaner and all the 100 other things you do.
Here is my advice:
1. hire a house cleaner. (they are cheaper than you think if you shop around).
2. Have a Young Women or even an 11 year old (mature) primary girl (we have a few of those in our ward that LOVE to come and play with the girls)to come and play with the boys 2 afternoons a week for just even an hour and a half and you'll get so much done. Your kids are still in your care, but they are staying busy playing while you are running around getting everything done.
3. switch off with another mom or sister in law. One watches your kids for 2 hours once a week and vice versa for a cleaning/catch up day.

kristib said...

Hey Melissa- I really don't have any ideas, since my house is not the tidiest on the block, but I wanted to say hi anyway!

Bethany said...

For the first time in my life I feel like I'm finally getting better at housekeeping, and I'm sure I'm nowhere near your standards. BUT, a great way for anybody to improve where they are is to try flylady's methods. Go to flylady.com -- all her information is there. You don't even have to buy her book (I did anyway because it was easier for me to read than using our sporadic internet at the time. I'm finally starting to put (little by little) some of her methods to use, and I have seen an improvement! Let me know what you think! And by-the-way, I think you're a great person, let alone a great mom.

The Titmi said...

I was going to suggest flylady too. You may not need all the motivation she doles out but it helps.
I know this sounds silly but I have a place for everything and that place is mainly out of sight. Really the only toy in veiw downstairs is the train table. All the downstairs toys are under the stairs organized in clear plastic boxes that I control when they come out. The upstairs toys mainly stay upstairs organized in their bedrooms in a way that they know how to clean up themselves. As far as my stuff goes, a filing cabinet did wonders for my piles. Everything is behind a closed door of some sort or another. Hope it helps. Oh yeah I forgot, look at www.meckmom.com I like her ideas